The Portland Stage Intern Program is committed to training future generations of theater professionals. Applicants should be highly motivated individuals who have acquired basic training in the theater arts and are looking to explore their field further through meaningful hands-on experience. Portland Stage interns can expect to be challenged by a creative process that relies on both ingenuity and collaboration.
Interns at Portland Stage work with leading designers, directors, administrators, and our professional production team throughout the season. They leave with a greater knowledge of the theatrical process and the satisfaction of being part of a dedicated theater company where exceptional quality is the end goal.
What you can expect:
- The hours are full time.
- Housing and a stipend will be provided, this helps make the internship relatively cost neutral.
- Schedules are rigorous and intensive.
- There will be physical tasks that require repeated lifting and bending, as well as possibly being on ladders, lifts, or catwalks.
- Everyone will be on run crew at least twice. Some internships have more run crew requirements than others. Some run crew positions might require that you appear onstage in a costume.
- College credit can be arranged.
- The minimum commitment is from late August through May; Production Interns could start as early as mid-July and Education Interns may be invited to stay as late as early August.
Theater Internship Areas
Internships are offered in Carpentry, Costumes/Wardrobe, Electrics/Sound, Stage Management, Directing/Dramaturgy, Education, and Company Management.
Instructions for downloading and completing an application.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the intern program.
Past Guest Artists
Select listing of directors, designers, performers, and playwrights who have worked with past Portland Stage intern companies.
Summer Education Interns – February 15
Stage Management Interns – March 1
All other Internships – March 15
*Please note that applications become available in Mid-December for the next round of applications.