ACT, CREATE, DISCOVER, IMAGINE, LAUGH, LEARN and MAKE FRIENDS!
Theater for Kids offers classes, workshops and vacation/summer theater camps! Professionally trained Teaching Artists encourage active participation and collaboration with a focus on literacy, cultural awareness, and creative thinking– all while having fun! Sign your child or teen up today!
Located in Portland Stage’s Theater for Kids Storefront Space on Forest Ave. between Congress and Cumberland.
- Play Me a Story Most Saturdays at 10:30 am, check the schedule. Walk-ins welcome!
- Vacation Theater Camps Great for school breaks!
- After School Classes Continue learning in a creative environment.
- High School Intensives Explore a specific facet of theater.
- Summer Camps Great for summer fun!
WORKING WITH EXPERTS
Portland Stage staff works closely with literacy experts and children’s book professionals to develop reading lists (readings are done with the author’s and/or publisher’s permission). Literacy advisors include:
- Dr. Alexander Lapidus, University of Southern Maine Literacy Education Department
- Vicky Smith, Children’s Book Editor of Kirkus Reviews
- Mary Pervada, Head Children’s Librarian at Portland Public Library
- Beverly Corsey, Principal of Nathan Clifford School
- Cynthia Loring, Principal of Presumpscot Elementary School
- Kirsten Cappy of Curious City
Download full report Multiliteracies in Maine by Alec Lapidus, PhD, and Heba Ahmed Literacy, Language, and Culture Program University of Southern Maine
- “For my child, the experience exposed him in an intimate and compelling way to real stage acting. Both the readings and workshops were done at a very high level for the kids. Watching his confidence grow over only a few visits was the most gratifying part for me.”
- “My daughter couldn’t wait to go each weekend. The actors and staff were very friendly and made her feel comfortable right away. She would have the biggest, sunniest grin coming out of the workshop.”
- “The mix of fun, creative activities in a friendly atmosphere was perfect for little kids.”
- “Working with real actors on a real stage opened my daughter’s eyes and mind.”
Theater for Kids is made possible by the generous support and vision of Susie Konkel. As a former educator and a lover of the arts, her funding enables Portland Stage to bring the magic of theater to the children of our community.
Theater for Kids has received funding from the Maine Humanities Council, The Virginia Hodgkins Somers Foundation, Sam L Cohen Foundation, The Catalyst Fund, Jeb Brooks & Cherie Wendelken, the Robert & Dorothy Goldberg Charitable Foundation, Bangor Savings and the Beim Foundation to continue our work in promoting academic and life skills through the theater arts.
Education Media Partner: