Winter 2020: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
“Portland Stage was able to bring Shakespeare to life for my students and provide them with an entry point into a challenging text and language. The actors and staff brought a high level of professionalism and talent, and a unique ability to relate to, engage, and work with students to enhance their understanding of performance and text.”
– Teacher at Gray New Gloucester High School
Professional actors perform a 50 minute adaptation of a Shakespeare play, followed by a talk-back. After the performance, students engage directly with the text in an interactive workshop with the actors and creative team. In these workshops, students practice effective communication, creative collaboration, rhetoric, and critical analysis. The program also comes with a comprehensive Resource Guide filled with information and resources about the play we are focusing on. Directors Lab puts Shakespeare’s language into the hands and mouths of the students, empowering them to be the artists, directors, and ensemble with the power to interpret the text and produce meaning.
Further Details for In-School Visits:
- The program runs February-March.
- We can bring the tour to you or you can come to Portland Stage for our in-house presentation (date TBA).
- Designed to work in any auditorium, gym, theater, or other open space.
- Space needs to be available an hour prior to the performance for set up
- Performances last approximately 50 minutes.
- Talk-backs with the actors last approximately 10 minutes
- After the performance, the students have the opportunity to work with the actors
they have just seen perform in interactive workshops in their classrooms.
- Teachers will receive the Resource Guide 1-3 months prior to the visit.
- Workshops run for 45-60 minutes and can be taught to as many as 8 classrooms total.
Further Details about the In-House Presentation of Directors Lab:
- Every year, we offer one in-house presentation of the Directors Lab performance and workshop. This is designed for smaller school groups, community groups, and home school groups.
- Date: February 10th at 10am at Portland Stage
Limited Engagements available February & March of 2020.
For pricing and more information, call 207.774.1043 x104 or send us an email.
Lincoln Middle School responds to Directors Lab’s Romeo and Juliet: