The two primary ways playwrights can submit new plays for consideration at Portland Stage are through the Little Festival of the Unexpected (Portland Stage’s annual new play development festival, open to all playwrights) and Clauder Competition (for New England-based Playwrights only). Specific submission guidelines for these opportunities can be found on their individual pages – follow the links above or in the menu. In general:
- Literary Agents may submit complete full-length scripts on behalf of their clients.
- Playwrights from the U.S. or abroad who do not have agents may submit 10-page dialogue samples of new, full-length plays for consideration in Little Festivals.
- New England-based Playwrights may submit complete full-length scripts to the Clauder Competition during the competition.
(The next round of the Clauder Competition will open for submissions in summer, 2017)
Portland Stage has a policy of not accepting or reading any unsolicited scripts that do not meet our submission guidelines.
– Plays are eligible for development only if they have not previously been professionally produced with Equity actors. This restriction includes Actors Equity showcase and waiver productions. Plays that have had readings or non-AEA productions are still eligible.
– Portland Stage rarely produces scripts with more than 8 Characters. When doubling occurs, a full character track breakdown must be included.
– Only one submission is accepted per playwright in a given year.
– Submissions of 10-page samples (from playwrights) must be sent by U.S. Mail only; no emails, faxes, etc..
– We do not accept scripts or samples of less than full-length plays at this time.
– Scripts and script samples are accepted between September 1st and December 31st for inclusion in Little Festival the following May.
The address to mail eligible submissions to is:
Attn: Literary Manager
P.O. Box 1458
Portland, ME 04104
For questions about script submissions or eligibility, please email Literary Manager.