Winter 2019: As You Like It
“Portland Stage was able to bring Shakespeare to life for my students and provide them with an entry point into a challenging text and language. The actors and staff brought a high level of professionalism and talent, and a unique ability to relate to, engage, and work with students to enhance their understanding of performance and text. ”
-Teacher at Gray New Gloucester High School
In our Directors Lab, professionally trained Teaching Artists present a 45 minute adaptation of a Shakespeare play, with text selected to inspire and incite conversation among middle and high school students. After the performance, students engage directly with the text in an interactive workshop with professional actors. In these workshops, students practice effective communication, creative collaboration, rhetoric, and critical analysis. The program also comes with a comprehensive Resource Guide filled with information and resources about the play we are focusing on. Directors Lab puts Shakespeare’s language into the hands and mouths of the students, empowering them to be the artists, directors, and ensemble with the power to interpret the text and produce meaning.
- The program runs February-March. We can bring the tour to you or you can come to Portland Stage on February 5th for our in-house presentation.
- Designed to work in any auditorium, gym, theater, or other open space.
- Space needs to be available an hour prior to the performance for set up
- Performances last approximately 45 minutes.
- Talk-backs with the actors last approximately 15 minutes
- After the performance, the students have the opportunity to work with the actors
they have just seen perform in interactive workshops in their classrooms.
- Teachers will receive the Resource Guide 1-3 month prior to the visit.
- Workshops run for 45-60 minutes and can be taught to as many as 8 classrooms total.
Limited Engagements available February & March of 2019.
Smaller groups are welcome at Portland Stage on February 4th for an in house Directors Lab performance and workshop.
For pricing and more information, call 207.774.1043 x104 or send us an email.
Lincoln Middle School responds to Directors Lab’s Romeo and Juliet: