Submissions & Auditions
General Script Submission Guidelines:
Specific submission guidelines for the Clauder Competition (for New England-based Playwrights) and the Little Festival of the Unexpected (Portland Stage's annual new play development festival) can be found on the pages below. In general:
- Literary Agents may submit complete full-length scripts on behalf of their clients at any time.
- Playwrights from the U.S. or abroad who do not have agents may submit 10-page dialogue samples of new, full-length plays for consideration in future Little Festivals.
- New England-based Playwrights may submit complete full-length scripts to the Clauder Competition during competition years only.
Portland Stage has a policy of not accepting or reading any unsolicited scripts that do not meet our submission guidelines.
- We do not accept 10-page dialogue samples (from playwrights) submitted electronically - hard copy sample submissions only.
- We do not accept scripts or samples of less than full-length plays at this time.
For questions about script submissions or eligibility, please contact Literary Manager Daniel Burson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Clauder Competition
Playwriting competition open to New England-based writers, held every three years at Portland Stage.
** The winners of the 2011-2012 Clauder Competition have been announced. Click here for more details**
Little Festival of the Unexpected
Portland Stage's annual new play development festival, a week-long workshop open to writers from across the country.
** 2013 Little Festival of the Unexpected. Click here for tickets and more information. **
Portland Stage holds AEA and non-professional auditions locally in Portland and in Boston and New York for our Main Stage and Studio Series productions.
Professional Set, Costume, Lighting, and Sound designers are hired locally and from around the country.
Portland Stage's Intern Company, open to recent college graduates, gives 10-11 young professionals the opportunity to play an integral role in producing a Portland Stage season.