Young Writers Project
Anything, Anyone, Anywhere!
The Eighth Annual Little Festival of the Unexpected Young Writers Project gives high school playwrights the opportunity to be read, seen, and heard by professionals during Portland Stage's annual celebration of new works for the stage. Young writers are invited to explore their imaginations and the theatrical form, and submit original scripts of short plays or monologues to Portland Stage. The deadline for submissions is February 1, 2014.
Selected scripts will be presented as public, staged readings by professional actors in May 2014 during the Little Festival of the Unexpected (LFU) in the Portland Stage Studio Theater. The LFU Young Writers will take part in the festival by attending rehearsals for their script, observing rehearsals of full-length plays in development, and meeting with professional playwrights in residence in Portland during the festival.
Click here to download the 2014 Young Writers Project brochure
- Open to all Maine and New Hampshire students, grades 9-12.
- Submit a short play or monologue no longer than 10 minutes (test the length of your script by reading it aloud).
- Original work only; adaptations of existing plays, movies, or books will not be accepted.
- Submissions must include a title page with the writer's contact information: name, address, phone number, e-mail address, school, and grade level.
- Submissions must also include a character list for the piece.
- Typed scripts only: no handwritten or otherwise illegible scripts will be accepted.
- If you're looking for information or suggestions on script formatting, we recommend the Drama Workshop's Web site.
|Young Writers Ted Burns (left) and Elizabeth Coughlin (right) at the 2013 Little Festival
of the Unexpected.
- All submissions will be read and evaluated by Portland Stage Affiliate Artists; local professional actors, directors and playwrights who call Portland Stage their creative home.
- Successful scripts will demonstrate creativity, originality and theatricality - write about anything, anyone, anywhere!
- Portland Stage will announce selected plays here on our website in early April, 2014. All writers who submit a script will be notified by mail of the selection results.
Dustin Tucker and Erik Moody in To Kill A Mocking Nerd by Ted Burns at the 2013 Little Festival.
Deadline: All submissions for the
2014 Young Writers Project must be postmarked by February 1, 2014.
Submit by mail to:
Attn: 2014 Young Writers Project
P.O. Box 1458
Portland, ME 04104